Check Out Our Cheat Sheet for Best Results!
As it turns out, school wasn’t out forever—just for the summer. Right now, the new school year is beginning for kids across the Coachella Valley. However, if you think you’re off the hook from hitting the books because you’re not a student, think again.
As a homeowner, you’re constantly put to the test by home-related problems. As you know from your school days, the only way to ensure you make the right choice is to study up. And as the trusted team for dependable HVAC service in Palm Desert, CA, and nearby, we volunteer to teach you the best tips, tricks and advice!
So, get your pencil and paper ready because we’re here to help you ace homeownership—starting with two questions you’ll definitely be asking yourself!
1. Should You Repair or Replace Your HVAC System?
If your HVAC system is costing you a fortune to maintain your comfort or it’s failing you miserably, you have a problem on your hands. But will a repair suffice? Or is it time to replace your cooling or heating system?
Here are two strategies that will help you find the right answer:
- Find out your unit’s age. Age plays a major factor in the great repair vs. replace debate. As you might know, an air conditioner’s lifespan ranges from 10 to 15 years while a furnace can last from 15 to 20. If your air conditioner is older than 10 years old or your furnace is older than 15, a replacement is probably the best answer to resolve your comfort issues. Plus, it will protect you against unnecessarily high energy bills and costly repairs. If your system hasn’t reached these benchmarks, you should probably lean toward a repair—unless your unit is out of warranty and experiences a catastrophic failure.
- Calculate the cost difference. Find out how much it would cost to repair your system. Multiply this repair cost by your unit’s age. If the total is less than the cost of a new system, then repair it. If the total is greater than the cost of a new system, then a replacement is the wise choice.
2. What Factors Are Important for System Replacements?
When it’s time to purchase a new cooling or heating system, it’s crucial that your unit is properly:
- Sized: If a system is too large, it will short cycle, which means it will shut off before it finishes running through a full cycle. This will cause your energy bills to skyrocket, take years off of your system’s lifespan and result in a more humid home. If a system is too small for your home, it will struggle to keep your space cool and force your unit to overwork. This increases the risk of frequent and costly repairs or, even worse, a premature replacement. A unit that’s sized perfectly will effortlessly keep your home at your desired temperature.
- Installed: An improperly installed system is no good! Not only will it cost you up to 30% more in energy costs, but it sets the foundation for a lifetime worth of operational problems. Thankfully, when you put your trust in Timo’s, you can rest assured your heating or AC installation in Palm Springs, CA, or nearby will be done flawlessly!
Turn to Timo’s for A+ Service & Care!
There’s nothing we want more than to see you succeed as a homeowner. That’s why we are constantly sharing our best advice inside our blog, always answering your call when you need us and providing you with nothing but the best, most reliable HVAC service.
Give us a call at 760.475.9542 or fill out our online form today!